Friday, July 25, 2008

Fancy a light read?

I do. A lot. My favourite writer for this type of books is Jill Mansell. I've read several of her books and some of them in one go. They are catchy, funny and even though there are many characters, there is no way you would get stuck with following plot lines (or rather, love lines). It's a perfect way to relax.

Currently I am reading this:

Here's a small extract from the book:

  'This huge bloke jumped me as I was heading up my front path, tried to grab my bag. Your bag,' She added, patting the turquoise and apricot suede and velvet shoulder bag on her lap. 'Well, what a cheek, I wasn't going to let him take that, was I? So we had a little wrestle.'
  'Are you mad?' Zac bellowed in disbelief. 'You're lucky he didn't have a knife!'
  'I love my bag, he wasn't having it,' Janice repeated. 'So anyway, that was when he punched me in the face, expecting me to go down like a skittle. Except what with all the practice I've had, getting battered by men, I didn't. And that was when I whacked him with my bag.'
  'That bag?' Nancy said doubtfully. Suede? Velvet? Lined with silk?
  'Ah, but what he didn't know what was what I had in it.' Janice triumphantly recrossed her legs. 'Malcolm's always said I carry around everything bar kitchen sink. That’s why I like a bag that's nice and roomy.'
  Zac said, 'What did you have in it?'
  'Well, make-up case, obviously. Phone. Purse. Keys. Cigs, heavy lighter, A-Z - you know, all the usual stuff. Then, happily, I happened to have nicked a really big glass ashtray from the restaurant my agent had taken me to at lunchtime.'
 'That's a lot.' Zac nodded.
  'Spare pair of shoes. Manolos, of course.'
  'Ouch,' said Zac.
  'And an alarm clock and a jar of olives,' Janice said happily. 'Oh, and a travel iron.' 
  ‘Jesus. So is he dead?’

Now THAT'S what I'd call a good bag.

I laughed so hard when i read this part yesterday. Thank god I was at home, not in public bus :)

No comments: